Wednesday, August 29, 2007

We're slackers over here!

Wow, reading all these blogs from homeschoolers who are already taking some well deserved breaks! No breaks for this household. Public Schools out here start in Sept, and heaven forbid we start a second earlier than everyone else. (sheesh!)

There's a resource out here for called Homesource where homeschoolers can take classes with other homeschoolers, and the best part about it is that it's paid for by taxes so it's free to homeschoolers. Each student 3rd grade and above must sign up for 4 1/2 hours of classes. Each class is 1 1/2 hour long and only once a week. They have serious classes but my kids prefer doing those at home. Here are the classes I signed them up for:

World Geography -They're going to do all kinds of neat projects and eat ethnic foods and I think they'll have more fun doing this in a group.

Improvisation- Cassandra wants to learn how to act and this is something I definitely can't do at home.

The Human Body- This class is at the same time as Cassandra's Improv class, so I figure Matthew would like this one. Besides, I have to stay at the facilities at all times so Matthew would just be sitting around anyway. Might as well have him do something.

Science: NASA Sci Fi- Based on three different Magic Tree House books, they'll solve 3 different mysteries using science. This one is mainly for Matthew.

Destination Imagination- They get together into groups and problem solve using critical thinking skills (mainly based in math). This class is really popular.

I told myself that I would sign them up for no more than three classes, but got a little carried away. They kids really like Homesource though and as great as homeschooling is, this does provide them with different opportunities to work with other kids. I did inform them that they had to stay current with their school work. We're going to try it the first week and if the kids think it's a little much we can drop a couple of classes. We're only going to be in Oregon for 1 1/2 more years before the Army ships us someplace else, so I think this will be something we can really have fun with before we move.

1 comment:

Tina in WA said...

I am a slacker too! We don't start school until the 10th.

Wow, that NASA class sounds neat! I wish we had a program like that in our area.

~Tina